Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why Remember?

"We must remember. If we do not, the sacrifice of those one hundred thousand Canadian lives will be meaningless. They died for us, for their homes and families and friends, for a collection of traditions they cherished and a future they believed in; they died for Canada. The meaning of their sacrifice rests with our collective national consciousness; our future is their monument."
(Heather Robertson, A Terrible Beauty, The Art of Canada at War. Toronto, Lorimer, 1977.)
On Remembrance Day (or Veterans Day for Americans) I had a few conversations with people that I work with, who just happen to be young. And I was baffled and extremely disappointed with their ignorance in regards to Remembrance Day. One even said to me "I don't like to celebrate war!" I must have missed the celebration part of this solemn day. I've never walked around with a party hat and a noise maker on this day. I use the day to remember all those who have sacrificed their lives for my country and other countries around the world. I think about my grandfathers who fought in the wars and lived to tell the story of their experience. I use the day to think about how lucky I am to live in Canada and be sheltered from the horrible events that surround a war.
I know that people are entitled to their opinion and they can choose whether or not to mark Remembrance Day in any way, but I think a kind of ignorance has set in with some people (not just the young). They have been either completely misinformed or are totally ignorant as to what this day represents. It saddens me beyond belief that this day is not in the very least respected by some. Whether or not you believe in war, it is out there and it has happened in the past and the men and women who fight these wars are braver then I'll ever be. To all of them regardless of country I say THANK-YOU and I give you the respect and admiration that I think you deserve. If you disagree with me that is fine you are entitled to your opinion and this with pride is mine.

No comments: